Sunday, September 03, 2006

Labor day?

Can anyone tell me anything about Labor Day that would make me think it's even really a patriotic holiday, let alone one that churches should support?

I bring this up because the closing song at Mass this morning was "America the Beautiful." I always get really nervous about these things. Since I believe that participating in the Mass through singing is important, and also that one should really sing songs like that in Mass, I'm always quite conflicted. I did something today that sort of surprised me. I hit my knees and prayed silently for our country to repent of the wars we're waging, and thus to live up to the beauty the song was acclaiming.

I don't think anyone noticed. But that's okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

American Catholics are clueless. They think patriotism, nationalism, number oneism are virtues.