Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sin and the Spirit

This morning at church, I found myself sitting with some friends. During the Our Father (that's the Lord's Prayer, for any of you Protestants reading), their very sweet 5 year old daughter turned to me with what must have been a conspiratorial delight. The thing is, it came off more as something of a gleeful malice. Taking delight in the hissy-ness of the word, she grinned her evil grin and simply said, "Tresssssspassssssessssss!" That's trespasses for those of you who can't read hissy-ness, and sins or debts for those of you who need a Protestant translation.

It certainly brought to mind Augustine: I was in love with ruin, with my own decay ... my sin was loathsome, and I loved it. Nothing like seeing a five year old seeming to delight in the concept of sin to remind you how messed up we all are.

Send forth your Spirit, O Lord, and renew the face of the earth. Enkindle in us your holy spirit, that we might love righteousness and reject sin, love one another and reject the riches and seductions of this world.

No comments: