Wednesday, June 18, 2008

10, 000 Saints

I realized tonight that, in the spirit of the name of my blog, it was time to blog about the places in my current life. I am teaching a summer class at St. John's University in Minnesota. And I have to say that I love the place names here. Most Catholic colleges and universities where I have been name a few buildings after saints and such, but most end up being named after donors or past presidents.

I'm living in Virgil Michel (a twentieth century Benedictine instrumental in the liturgical movement and quite influential upon Dorothy Day). My office is in St. Luke. My class meets in Emmaus, which means that I walk the road to Emmaus each morning. Along the way, I see St. Patrick Hall, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Benet, and St. Luke, as well as the Liturgical Press.

Anyway, this delights me. The land of 10, 000 lakes is also a land of many saints. I like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dana, it isn't just Collegeville; it's all of Minnesota. Don't you just love it? I lived most of my life there and went through its Catholic educational system from Grade One onward and upward. I most enjoyed St. John's. What do you think, though, of the current Abbot's comment that the American Catholic Church is in hospice on life support?