Sunday, February 07, 2010

Way to go, Saints!

I don't care much about professional football. I'm much more into the college game.

But I've found myself in the past week or so really hoping the New Orleans Saints would pull off a win in Superbowl XLIV. And now they have.

Why do I care? Well, my mom grew up in New Orleans, and I have all kinds of cousins and aunts and uncles who have always been Saints fans. Not that my mom really cared that much about football, but I know she would have been happy with this victory.

And what a strange and wonderful thing that, thinking about my mom and my aunts and uncles who have died but who would love this, I keep hearing the song (either playing in the background somewhere, or simply in my head as I recall the victory) "Oh when the saints go marching in ... how I want to be in that number ... when the saints go marching in." I certainly hope and pray that all my beloved dead (and yours!) are in that number, and that you and I will be in it as well.

No comments: