Thursday, July 20, 2006

Another visit, another sister

One of the best things about spending time visiting someone in a facility for the mentally ill is that, sometimes, you're not the only visitor. Sometimes, you come across someone else who is visiting a loved one. It's a strange thing, because when you have a family member in a psych ward, it's never a good time. But it's a strange grace in the midst of that to run into someone else in similar circumstances.

Twice now, I have run into these two sisters eating together as I've visited Paul. One is a patient, one a visitor. This sister has, twice now, brought her sister a plate of home-cooked food. Both times, I had brought Paul cheeseburgers. I don't feel at all guilty about this, especially not since I received about 12 calls the first day begging for a cheeseburger. The second day, he gave me a choice between bringing a cheeseburger and bringing him a new pair of camouflage shorts. Drive-through is easier.

Anyway, we've chatted a bit with the sisters about movies and food and things. Today we got into family, and how we each have two other siblings who aren't around and willing or able to help out. It's amazing how good it is to connect with folks like this. I'm grateful for my friends and for the support that I get, but it's nice to chat a bit with someone who stands so close to the same place.

No comments: