Saturday, December 05, 2009

Conquer the world, lose the game

So my first football love is always the Irish, but since their season is beyond over, I watched the SEC championship game today. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a Tim Tebow fan. He's a likeable, dedicated young man, and he takes his faith very seriously, and he uses his fame to witness to that faith. I like that about him.

He usually puts a scripture verse in his eyeblack. Today, it proclaimed John 16:33, and I went ahead and looked it up. I found: "I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world."

Now, I'm all about Jesus having conquered the world. But, is it just me, or does this sound like a guy who is at peace with the fact that he's about to have some serious trouble in the big game?

Of course, at least he has his priorities straight. What would it profit a man to win the game and lose his soul? But still.

No comments: